Dec. 17, 2023 – Matthew Perry, who died last month aged 54 following a ketamine overdose, was ‘never’ clean. ‘He could be quite a manipulative person when it came to his struggles with using, but it was such a struggle, such a battle, and he battled every day to the end.’ An autopsy published Friday revealed that the star died from the ‘acute effects of ketamine’ and drowning, with Perry having similar quantities of ketamine in his system as a hospital patient under general anesthetic.

‘The County of Los Angeles Department of Medical Examiner determined the cause of death for 54-year-old actor Matthew Langford Perry as the acute effects of ketamine,’ the Los Angeles coroner’s office said on Friday.

‘Contributing factors in Mr Perry’s death include drowning, coronary artery disease, and the effects of buprenorphine (used to treat opioid use disorder). The manner of death is accident.’

Perry was found face-down in the jacuzzi which adjoins the swimming pool at his Los Angeles home at 4.17pm on October 28. 

The medical examiner reported that he had been receiving ketamine infusion therapy as treatment for depression but the last session was a week and a half before he died, and the ketamine is only in your system for three to four hours, which means it did not lead directly to his death.

‘At the high levels of ketamine found in his postmortem blood specimens, the main lethal effects would be from both cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression,’ the medical examiner, Raffi Djabourian, concluded.